Government Accountability Office Reports
Using Performance Data to Inform Management Decisions
- Government Performance: Strategies for Building a Results-Oriented and Collaborative Culture in the Federal Government. GAO-09-1011T.
- Results-Oriented Management: Strengthening Key Practices at FEMA and Interior Could Promote Greater Use of Performance Information. GAO-09-676.
- Government Performance: Lessons Learned for the Next Administration on Using Performance Information to Improve Results. GAO-08-1026T.
- Managing For Results: Enhancing Agency Use of Performance Information for Management Decision Making. GAO-05-927.
- Results-Oriented Government: GPRA Has Established a Solid Foundation for Achieving Greater Results. GAO-04-38.
- Results-Oriented Government: Using GPRA to Address 21st Century Challenges. GAO-03-1166T.
- Streamlining Government: Questions to Consider When Evaluating Proposals to Consolidate Physical Infrastructure and Management Functions GAO-12-542
- Streamlining Government: Key Practices from Select Efficiency Initiatives Should Be Shared Governmentwide. GAO-11-908.
- Streamlining Government: Opportunities Exist to Strengthen OMB’s Approach to Improving Efficiency. GAO-10-394.
- 21st Century Challenges: Performance Budgeting Could Help Promote Necessary Reexamination. GAO-05-709T.
- Performance Budgeting: Opportunities and Challenges. GAO-02-1106T.
- Managing for Results: Agency Progress in Linking Performance Plans with Budgets and Financial Statements. GAO-02-236.
- Results-Oriented Budget Practices in Federal Agencies. GAO-01-1084SP.
- Performance Budgeting: Fiscal Year 2000 Progress in Linking Plans With Budgets. GAO/AIMD-99-239R.
Evaluating Program Performance
- Performance Measurement and Evaluation: Definitions and Relationships. GAO-11-646SP.
- Program Evaluation: Experienced Agencies Follow a Similar Model for Prioritizing Research. GAO-11-176.
- Program Evaluation: OMB’s PART Reviews Increased Agencies’ Attention to Improving Evidence of Program Results. GAO-06-67.
- Performance Budgeting: PART Focuses Attention on Program Performance, but More Can Be Done to Engage Congress. GAO-06-28.
- Program Evaluation: An Evaluation Culture and Collaborative Partnerships Help Build Agency Capacity. GAO-03-454.
Increasing Coordination and Collaboration
- Results-Oriented Government: Practices That Can Help Enhance and Sustain Collaboration among Federal Agencies. GAO-06-15.
- Managing for Results: Barriers to Interagency Coordination. GGD-00-106.
- Managing For Results: Using the Results Act to Address Mission Fragmentation and Program Overlap. AIMD-97-146.
Organizational Consolidation, Mergers, and Transformation
- Department of Homeland Security: Actions Taken Toward Management Integration, but a Comprehensive Strategy Is Still Needed. GAO-10-131.
- Organizational Transformation: Implementing Chief Operating Officer/Chief Management Officer Positions in Federal Agencies. GAO-08-34.
- 21st Century Challenges: Reexamining the Base of the Federal Government. GAO-05-325SP.
- High-Performing Organizations: Metrics, Means, and Mechanisms for Achieving High Performance in the 21st Century Public Management Environment. GAO-04-343SP.
- Shaping the Government to Meet 21st Century Challenges. GAO-03-1168T.
- Results-Oriented Cultures: Implementation Steps to Assist Mergers and Organizational Transformations. GAO-03-669.
- Architect of the Capitol: Management and Accountability Framework Needed for Organizational Transformation.GAO-03-231.
- Government Reorganization: Issues and Principles. T-GGD/AIMD-95-166.
- Program Consolidation: Budgetary Implications and Other Issues. T-AIMD-95-145.
- Implementation: The Missing Link in Planning Reorganizations. GGD-81-57.